[ExI] Serious topic

Max More max at maxmore.com
Mon Feb 28 06:20:45 UTC 2011

Yes, I'd like to see a good analysis of the real costs of (various forms of
) nuclear, minus the unnecessary regulatory costs and delays. It's true that
nuclear in the US is currently not cheap with subsidy (but not expensive
either), but it does look like a good chunk of that cost could be done away
with and might never have existed if not for persistent and intensive
pressure from environmentalists who wanted to kill this energy source.

--- Max

On Sun, Feb 27, 2011 at 9:02 PM, David Lubkin <lubkin at unreasonable.com>wrote:

> Spike wrote:
>
> If we look around us, everywhere I see astonishing energy waste, just
>> because energy is cheap and plentiful.  Oil is still so cheap it strangles
>> out most alternative energy sources.
>>

> And there's a lot of known energy, e.g., nuclear, coal, and natural gas,
> that can be readily tapped without much technical fuss. We may balk at one
> or other but someone else won't, and energy is fungible.
>
> Aside, any idea how fast we could build gigawatt reactors in a real crunch?
> (That is, in a WW II grade focus, bypassing all current hurdles.)
>

> -- David.

Max More
Strategic Philosopher
Co-founder, Extropy Institute