[ExI] sound archive

Jebadiah Moore jebdm at jebdm.net
Sun Jan 2 09:20:33 UTC 2011

2011/1/2 spike <spike66 at att.net>

> Question: if I had the chord and could reproduce it on a guitar or could
> get reasonably close, how can we conceive a google-like device to get from
> the sound to text describing it?  If I knew the song, I could easily google
> a YouTube of the chord, but if all I have is the chord, or the tune without
> any lyrics, I need a googly tool to get to the song.  I could imagine
> reducing a rhythm to a googlable form, but not really a chord or a tune.

Well, there are a few music search engines which take audio and try to
identify a song from that audio (for instance, http://www.soundhound.com/).
 The concept ought to be generalizable, but more difficult when you get less
domain-specific (since I imagine SoundHound and co do some significant
dimension reduction).  See http://labs.ideeinc.com/ for some general work in
this area with images.  Smells would require an IO device for smells,
obviously, but would probably be even easier to search (since input on
smells would probably require recording what chemicals are in the air and
their ratios, and searching a database using that information would be
pretty simple).

--
Jebadiah Moore
http://blog.jebdm.net