[ExI] atheists declare religions as scams

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 18:40:08 UTC 2011

The Abrahamic faiths tend to less tolerant of opposing views overall. (If the
Bible is any guide to history, wiping out people of opposing views happened and
was condoned.) That said, though, toleration seems to be something that takes
time to learn and institutionalize. I believe the EP crowd can offer up reasons
for this: anything that's different has a good chance of being dangerous, so
best to just not tolerate it as a default condition.

But all of this said, we run into the problem of scriptural or even historical
determinism. Just because some Muslims today don't tolerate ideological
opposition to their beliefs - and by "not tolerate," I mean use violence not
merely not be friends with -- doesn't mean all Muslims do.

Regards,

Dan