[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality.

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 4 20:27:03 UTC 2011

----------John wrote--------------------------------------------------------
In my thought experiment the two were not moving with respect to each other so I

see absolutely  nothing unique about their reference frames, and even if they
were I'll be dammed if I can see why it would matter. And anyway I thought you
said the copies were perfect
--------------------------------------

> These reference frames will be physical in the sense that they will sweep
> out distinct world lines in space-time

----------John wrote--------------------------------------------------------

Space-time lines of what, Space-time lines of every atom that was once part of
your body including that atom you pissed down the toilet when you were in the
third grade?

Yes, that atom's world line orbited a mass of similar lines for some time before

being pissed away. That twisted mass of world lines was
and is me. Atoms come, exchange partners, and go. Some do it quickly, some
slowly, but still there is a relatively stable pattern of atomic world lines
clustered

around my center of mass. Of course for simplicity, you can approximate me with
a single fatter world line representing the average position of my atoms.

>Call it the autocentric sense, if you will

----------John wrote--------------------------------------------------------
Yet another euphemism for the soul. And please explain why this "autocentric
sense" cannot be copied in a perfect copy.

But nobody who actually believes in souls would think that I am describing
anything remotely like a

soul. And if the autocentric sense is a soul then all GPS devices and other
navigational instruments would have souls. Furthermore the sense *can* be copied
but once it is copied it would become non-identical.

For some items, perfect copies can't exist. To see why, imagine you have a
perfect replicator that can replicate anything flawlessly and a perfect GPS unit
that can measure

it's own position with respect to the GPS satellite constellation
with indefinitely high precision. Now imagine using the replicator on the GPS
unit so that now you have two GPS units. Do the GPS units read *exactly* the
same position? If not, the GPS devices are not perfect copies, since their
readings are different. If they do, then one of the GPS devices is not
functioning correctly because both can't be in the same place at the time.

> The label "you" implies "over there". Me implies "here".

----------John wrote--------------------------------------------------------
But as I have said before and will continue saying, if the two are identical and

you exchange "here" for "over there" even the very universe itself will not
notice any difference, and remember that both you standing here and that fellow
over there are also part of the universe and you'd be no better detecting that
exchange than any other part of the universe. And as I have also said before
this is not just some skittering abstraction but the bedrock behind one of the
most important ideas in modern physics, exchange forces.
------------------------------

Exchange forces play a role in my argument too because they mediate the Pauli
Exclusion Principle

that prevents fermions with identical quantum states from occupying the same
position in space. Because of this no two pieces of matter can occupy the exact
same place at the exact same time, even if in all other respects they are
identical.

>You don't feel like a different person by moving  from one spatial coordinate
 >another because the reference frame moves with you

----------John wrote--------------------------------------------------------
So if I give you general anesthesia, put you on a jet to a undisclosed location
and then wake you up Stuart LaForge will be dead and there will just be an
impostor who looks behaves thinks and believes with every fibre of his being
that he is Stuart LaForge

No because the autocentric sense is about *relative* positioning. It
recalibrates wherever I happen to find myself after the anethesia wears off
back to being ground zero, the origin of my spatial map.

>The autocentric sense does not track your absolute position in space, there is
>no such thing, but your position relative to external objects including any
>copies of you that may be around.
> And regardless of your autocentric sense, you have a physical position and
> associated reference frame relative to the fixed stars.
----------John wrote--------------------------------------------------------

Without your senses there is no way to even know where your brain is, so I sure
don't see how it could have anything to do with consciousness or identity. For
most of human history people thought the brain was an unimportant organ that had

something to do with cooling the blood and the heart was the seat of
consciousness; even though those ancient people literally didn't know where they

were I still think they were conscious.

But that is no accident, John. You wouldn't have a brain at all if it weren't
for your senses. In the study of natural history, there is a distinct process
called cephalization that is observed across phyla of increasing complexity.
Animals that don't move much like sponges and anemones don't need much in the
way of senses and consequently don't need brains. As animals started moving,
they developed senses like sight, smell, and hearing. The sense organs were were
concentrated on the leading portion of the body in the accustomed direction of
movement, because organisms needed to distinguish if they were moving toward
predators or other hazards. To void signal propagation delays in processing
sensory information from these sense organs, ganglia of nerve cells clustered
immediately behind these sensory organs. These ganglia became the brain and the
whole ensemble became the head.

But this feeds into my larger point, which is that the autocentric sense is not
the soul or some metaphysical bullshit but an evolved brain function that allows
you to distinguish yourself from rivals, potential mates, and the predator
trying to eat you.

Stuart LaForge

"There is nothing wrong with America that faith, love of freedom, intelligence,
and energy of her citizens cannot cure."- Dwight D. Eisenhower