[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Wed Jan 5 12:16:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 11:20:19AM -0500, John Clark wrote:

> >> Damien Broderick wrote:
> >> Read what I wrote. A vitrified brain is not a living brain.
>
> > Eugen Leitl wrote:
> > A vitrified brain is a snapshot, potentially enough to
> > resume the original process (you'll be dropping a few bits on
> > the floor, as short-term memory will not be consolidated,
> > so you'll lose at least a couple hours).
>
> Yes, but the machine built by Kenneth J. Hayworth doesn't
> use vitrified brains, it uses fresh wet squishy brains,

No, it uses fixated, resin-perfused brains.

See

http://www.depressedmetabolism.com/2010/01/28/brain-preservation/

and

http://www.depressedmetabolism.com/chemopreservation-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/

also

http://www.depressedmetabolism.com/2010/08/09/ken-hayworth-on-straight-freezing-in-cryonics/

> and makes consistent slices of it 29.4 nanometers thick
> that are ready to be photographed with an electron microscope.

The method is not relevant, provided it works. You still
drop bits on the floor, since long-term memory consolidation
happens on hour scale, while begin of either process either
assumes you're flat-EEGing, or will make you flat-EEG in
a very short matter (if you have seen dogs hit with formaline,
it is very quick).