[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jan 5 15:59:32 UTC 2011

> Although you acknowledge that you still think there is something
> special about one copy rather than the other, so that one is "you" and
> the other is not.

The way you choose to express this reveals a confusion. As I've argued
previously, the original (by definition) is NOT a "copy". It is an
instance. The copy is also an instance, but it is a copied or emulated
instance, not the original instance. Does this make any practical or
legal or moral difference to either of them? That's a judgment call. If
it's necessary to obliterate or disassemble the original instance in
order to transport a snapshot of its configuration elsewhere in space or
time, then build a copy emulating the original's functions, I see no
stake for the original in this process. You and many others on this list
disagree. John Clark tells us he'd do it in a heartbeat. Okay. There is
a disagreement over what seems self-evident and there the discussion has
to stop.

Damien Broderick