[ExI] atheists declare religions as scams.

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jan 6 16:57:37 UTC 2011

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
Subject: Re: [ExI] atheists declare religions as scams.

On Jan 4, 2011, at 4:32 PM, spike wrote:

A christian evolutionist is not necessarily a contradiction

>There are christian evolutionists but it is a contradiction, they just live
with it the same way all religious people deal with the absurdity of their
beliefs, by putting their ideas in little air tight compartments with no way
for them to interact with each other. Christians believe in a benevolent God
who can do anything, so He could have produced the complexity of our world
by just snapping his metaphorical fingers but instead he used Evolution, a
hideously cruel process. That is FAR more evil than anything Satan did in
the Bible. John K Clark

John, the way I am using the term christian (with lower case c) implies
atheist.  The term is more of an adjective.  So in this sense a christian
evolutionist is one who is generally comfortable with the culture that tends
to form in societies where upper case C Christians live, can deal with their
superstitions and so forth.  A lower case c christian can be one who was
once an upper case C, but was crushed beneath the overwhelming weight of
evidence for evolution, and who were then forced by the iron grip of reason
to follow that observation to its logical conclusion.  We were convinced
against our will that there is no blissful afterlife, no 73 virgins waiting
our arrival, at best a future as a sim in a holodeck, at worst, nothing.
Outside observers could scarcely tell there was a profound phase change
occurring in the mind of that former upper case C believer as she reasoned
through the consequences of unambiguous observation.

Other than that unfortunate incident Mark 11:15-19, Jesus really wasn't a
bad guy.  He is lucky the moneychangers didn't gang up and beat the holy
shit out of the anti-capitalist bastard.  But other than that, he was a good
lad.