[ExI] Meat v. Machine

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Jan 6 18:01:56 UTC 2011

On Jan 6, 2011, at 2:10 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 05, 2011 at 04:33:41PM -0800, spike wrote:
>
>> Yes by all means, snip that.  Far too pessimistic methinks.  We should be
>> able to write a good simulation of builder-bots operating 1.3 seconds away,
>
> You don't need to write anything, other than adding a delay in the control
> flow and the video feed in current virtual world simulators. For a lark,
> you could even add 1/6 g to the physics, though that is not strictly
> required.

I don't believe SL has believable joints and such yet and OpenSim lacks SL in general physics and is ahead in a few specialized areas.   Perhaps all good enough.  Building a few models and comparing them to rover etc footage or to models in better physics simulations would lay the question to rest.

> It would be possible to build local reflexes with avatar scripting.

You mean in animation loops?  Scripting is just scripting AFAIK.  There is no specific avatar brand of scripting outside of animation loops is SL and OpenSim.

- s