[ExI] atheists declare religions as scams.

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Jan 7 12:39:13 UTC 2011

On 2011-01-07 09:19, Sondre Bjellås wrote:
> No religion are sane. Religions are invalid as basis for morality, as
> the morality in all religions are not based upon realities in the world
> and doesn't stand up to scientific scrutiny.

While the epistemic basis for religions is clearly bad, I doubt there is
much science itself can say about the correctness of morality.

If you are a moral realist (moral claims can be true or false), it is
not obvious that the truth of moral statements can be investigated
through a scientific experiment. How do you measure the appropriateness
of an action? How do you test if utilitarianism is correct? And if you
are a moral noncognitivist (moral claims are not true or false, but like
attitudes or emotions) or error theorist (moral claims are erroneous
like religion) at most you can collect statistics and correlates of why
people believe certain things. If you are a subjectivist (moral claims
are about subjective human mental states; they may or may not be
relative to the speaker or their culture) you might be able to
investigate them somewhat, with the usual messiness of soft science.

Note that logic and philosophy can say a lot about the consistency of
moral systems: it is pretty easy to show how many moral systems are
self-contradictory or produce outcomes their proponents don't want, and
it is sometimes even possible to prove more general theorems that show
that certain approaches are in trouble (e.g. see
http://sciencethatmatters.com/archives/38 ) Philosophy has been doing
this for ages, to the minor annoyance of believers.

Science is really good at undermining factually wrong claims (like the
Earth being flat or that prayer has measurable positive effects on the
weather). It might also be possible to use it to say things about
properties of moral systems such as their computational complexity,
evolutionary stability or how they tie in with the cognitive
neuroscience and society of their believers. It is just that science is
pretty bad at proving anything about the *correctness* of moral
statements unless it is supplemented by a theory of what counts as
correct, and that tends to come from the philosophy department (or,
worse, the theology department...)

This was a PSA brought to you by the philosophy department. Better
living through thinking.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute