[ExI] mass transit again

spike spike66 at att.net
Sat Jan 8 02:32:11 UTC 2011

This is an example of what I mentioned a few days ago about being a way
bigger threat to society than is global warming, this bigger threat is feral
humans:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/01/07/station.videotaped.incident/index.html?h
pt=T2

Last week it was this:

http://www.bradenton.com/2010/12/27/2837235/manatee-sheriff-couple-attacked.
html

It is a reason why I think most public transit notions are a dead end.
Individual cars serve as suits of armor, providing a defensive barrier.  The
challenge is to invent a form of public transit which somehow protects the
unarmed prole from other proles.  If we build the infrastructure correctly,
the ferals will devour each other, and the rest of us can go about our
business.

In the long run I am thinking something like the old tech ski lift
technology is the way to move proles in the big city: moving cable, with the
option of riding alone in an individual car or with as many as four riders
per car.  I don't know the exact mechanism, but it should be at least
possible to create a car that individually transfers from one moving cable
to another, so that one need only enter the coordinates of the city block
where one wants to end, and the rest is mechanized.  This does away with
most parking lots, or rather moves them out where there is plenty of room
and the theoretical possibility of making the parking lots safe.

It could be that I am overly focused on the feral humans thing.  Damien's
book Transcension has Dr. Malik being slain by ferals in a most memorable
and disturbing passage.  Fortunately he was frozen and we eventually saved
by that technology.  I propose avoiding all possible contact with them.