[ExI] Fw: Re: atheists declare religions as scams.

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 8 16:04:09 UTC 2011

"spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

> > ... On Behalf Of Stathis Papaioannou
> >
> > >...There is no contradiction in accepting a
> religion but rejecting its ancient beliefs as literal truth.
> Some theologians take the Bible about as seriously as
> classical scholars take the Iliad and the Odyssey; that is,
> they take it very seriously but they don't actually believe
> that any of the supernatural stuff happened...Stathis
> Papaioannou
> >

> > Stathis I think this is an understatement.  I
> would say *most* theologians, particularly the
> fundamentalist variety, discount the supernatural.  I
> might be projecting, but I don't see how they could miss
> that if they really study the hell out of the bible.
> >
> > Hmmm, study the hell out of the bible, that has a
> delightful double meaning.

Wait, what?

If they are fundamentalist theologians, how can they
discount the supernatural??  I thought all theologians
started with the assumption that a god exists?  (i.e.
the biggest supernatural proposition of all)

Of course, I don't really see how theologians stay
theologians.  Studying the bible tends to get rid of
not just hell, but heaven and god as well.

Ben Zaiboc