[ExI] Fw: Re: atheists declare religions as scams.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 11:55:50 UTC 2011

2011/1/14 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>
> On Jan 13, 2011, at 6:06 PM, Stefano Vaj wrote:
>> Actual faith in an entity with Allah/God/Jahve features is indeed a very peculiar and limited phenomenon
>
> I wish that were true but humanity has been creating countless gods for many thousands of years and has been doing so in every culture except for the scientific one, but that culture is quite small and has only been around for a few hundred years.

My contention is that "gods" (which are by no means universal to all
religions even in the broadest possible sense of the word) is a quite
parochial and imprecise translation of very different concepts in
different cultures, unless inasmuch as such cultures have been
actually contaminated by monotheistic views.

Now, the "scientific" culture really appears to be in conflict only
with the valorial and metaphysical contexts of the religions of the
Book. What does, say, Zen claim which would be in contrast with a
scientific worldview? Ancient Greek paganism? Hinduism?

--
Stefano Vaj