[ExI] Yes, the Singularity is the greatest threat to humanity

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 17:26:21 UTC 2011

On 17 January 2011 17:39, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
> As I have often discussed here, there are psychological mechanisms
> that switch humans into an irrational "war mode" when environmental
> conditions are such that war is a better path for genes than the
> alternative.

This would make it a "rational" war mode by definition, wouldn't it?

In any event, even today we can make machines who can persuasively
behave *as if* they were "angry" or primarily "motivated" by their own
survival and reproduction, killing humans in the process.

Now, it would seem to me that no plausible relation exists between the
relative efficiency of such kind of machines in those tasks and the
degree of "general anthropomorphic intelligence" they may exhibit
without (btw, largely available if still required) human assistance.

All the mythology to the contrary IMHO does not bear closer, critical
inspection and is easily deconstructed as archetypical fears which
represent just the umpteen  avatar of the Golem/Frankenstein myth.

--
Stefano Vaj