[ExI] extropy-chat Digest, Vol 88, Issue 31

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 16:32:06 UTC 2011

On 18 January 2011 05:11, Keith Henson <hkeithhenson at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This would make it a "rational" war mode by definition, wouldn't it?
>
>From the viewpoint of genes yes.  From the viewpoint of the poor
> schmuck who gets his ass shot off, no.

If "rational" is a synonim of "good", you are right. But even good is
essentially a matter of perspectives, isn't it?

>> In any event, even today we can make machines who can persuasively
>> behave *as if* they were "angry" or primarily "motivated" by their own
>> survival and reproduction, killing humans in the process.
>
> From the viewpoint of humans, particularly mine, that seems like a
> really bad idea.

Their "general intelligence" or their possible ability to pass a
Turing test, would however seem immaterial to how bad such an idea is.

Moreover, aren't such machines currently manufactured by humans for
their own purposes? This makes me doubt that a general "human"
viewpoint exists in this respect.

Unless in the sense of course that cars, e.g., have been fighting
since the fifties a war against human beings and are perhaps winning
it, given that today a family in Milan has more cars than children in
average.

--
Stefano Vaj