[ExI] google translator

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 20 03:08:02 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 18, 2011 at 11:55 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Some of you coding hipsters who know from conversational software, how far
> out is this now?  Five years?  Ten?  Why don't we have stereos and TVs set
> up to where we just tell it what we want, and it goes off and does it?  Why
> do we need to learn its language instead of it learning ours?

Because the average person is still better at learning arbitrary
devices than the devices are at learning arbitrary people.

There's also a huge problem of "interim technologies" which exist
between the obsolete products of today and the really obvious
solutions of tomorrow - it's a hybrid of today's tech and cutting edge
prices.  Not very satisfying, but ensures that the next minor
increment can be marketed as an exciting gotta-have-it upgrade.