[ExI] mass transit again

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Thu Jan 20 20:53:36 UTC 2011

> If you put electric trains where they are needed, they will be used. In my
> city a light rail electric line opened some months ago, after an enormous
> amount of debates and newspaper articles about its uselessness and how it
> would always be empty. It has now about 1 million riders / month, which is
> an average of 86 per journey, with a train every five minutes. I believe
> that this number is understated, since when I have taken it, it was always
> packed, no matter what time it was (here's an image:
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Test_of_tramway_of_Florence_2.png )

That is very nice!  It runs smoothly and does not shake the cathedral and other
lovely old buildings?

Running every 5 minutes sounds useful. Question: if one is coming in from the
countryside, where can one safely park an automobile in order to use the train *in*
town?  Years ago I took the train to work, parking near the station in the small
town and walking from the station in the city to the office.

The problem in my present town is the little bus to the city runs one time in the
morning and one time in the evening. If one's work schedule doesn't happen to match
the bus schedule then bad luck for you. Every now and then the schedule has some
readjustment so some riders cannot any longer use the bus while a few new ones can.
Not very helpful.

Regards,
MB