[ExI] new and improved intermittent liar

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jan 23 06:29:09 UTC 2011

... On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes

>> Larry utters the comments
>
>> 1.      I told the truth last month
>> 2.      I will lie six months from now
>
>> An all-knowing always-truther hears Larry's statements and comments
>
>> 3.      Larry is lying now.
>
>> This one should be extremely easy, ja?

>N/A.  Comments 1 and 2 from Larry could only happen together in February.
>(Simple mod of previous answer.)  However, Larry tells the truth in
February.

>Unless by "always-truther" you mean something other than "one who always
tells the truth", or some twist like that. Adrian

That wasn't what I was thinking, but I do confess the question is
intentionally misleading sorta, so it was a trick.  Puzzles do that: they
lure the unsuspecting innocent into reading something into the question that
is perfectly logical but isn't specifically stated.

Clue number 3 really is as it appears, so we already know the answer is in
either October, April or August.  So the focus is on Larry's lying comments.

Ordinarily if one says "a month ago" on 15 October, one means 15 September.
But what if one says "a month from now" on 31 October?  What day is that?
What if one says "six months from now" on October 31st?

{8^D

spike

(oh this is fun.)  {8-]