[ExI] Help with freezing phenomenon

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jan 27 07:14:28 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Adrian Tymes
Subject: Re: [ExI] Help with freezing phenomenon

On Wed, Jan 26, 2011 at 10:12 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
>> Max, shall I desist posting these notions forthwith?  Plopping this
>> into the public domain, we run the risk of some yahoo running to the
>> patent office with it, ja?

>...1) If some yahoo does run to the patent office, inspired by your post?
You've got provable prior art - and as such, if he does get a patent, a case
to simply take his patent away from him (and into your pocket) wholesale, or
at least invalidate his patent.  Your evidence?  *These very posts.*

Good thanks.  I don't want patents in this area.  This needs to be open.

>...2) Do you seriously believe no one has ever had a thought similar to
what you pose before?  Getting a patent involves far, FAR more than merely
having and stating an idea...

The idea of a beam splitter and reflector, with a wavelength of around 8 cm
to maximize microwave destructive interference in the center of a hemisphere
I suspect has never been patented.  The rest of it, ja, likely a hundred
previous yahoos have tried to patent that stuff.

>...  But I am also increasingly seeing that I am not alone in seeing
technologies where I materially, even financially, benefit even if someone
else rakes in the direct monetary profits.

May we all benefit.

And just to add another idea without going even more than I already have
over the voluntary daily posting limit: is it not absurd that trains go
woooonk wooooonk wonk woooooonk to warn traffic where streets cross
railroads?  Could they not simply have speakers set up at the roads that do
the woonk wonk thing when the train is coming, so that it doesn't need to
make all that racket that can be heard for miles?  And why a horn, instead
of a human voice saying "Heads up prole, train coming!"  Is the train horn a
bad solution to an engineering problem or what?  What happened, did some
yahoo patent the idea of making train warning horns next to the road instead
of on board the train?

I don't want to see cryonics technology get trapped in blind alleys because
of intellectual property law.  It's too important.