[ExI] Oxford scientists edge toward quantum PC with 10b qubits

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jan 28 13:52:15 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 08:18:46AM -0500, Richard Loosemore wrote:
> John Grigg wrote:
>> Does this mean we are possibly moving ahead of schedule toward AGI?
>>
>> http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/01/21/oxford.u.makes.headway.toward.quantum.computer/
>
> The answer to your question is NO.
>
> Getting toward AGI is a question of the theory, and the software.

Do you need theory for your brain's operation in order to
operate it? What kind of software are you running right now,
and where exactly is it separate from hardware? Where is
the magical time period where state becomes embodied as
permanent structure?

> The relevance of hardware advances like this is completely unknown until
> a working design can be supplied.

If you try to track what a given piece of neocortex is doing
in current hardware you will realize that you need a lot of
crunch.

> We are a long way away from AGI, unless people start to wake up to the
> farcical state of affairs in artificial intelligence at the moment.

Finally something we can agree on.