[ExI] Oxford scientists edge toward quantum PC with 10b qubits

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Fri Jan 28 15:28:27 UTC 2011

Eugen Leitl wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 08:18:46AM -0500, Richard Loosemore wrote:
>> John Grigg wrote:
>>> Does this mean we are possibly moving ahead of schedule toward AGI?
>>>
>>> http://www.electronista.com/articles/11/01/21/oxford.u.makes.headway.toward.quantum.computer/
>> The answer to your question is NO.
>>
>> Getting toward AGI is a question of the theory, and the software.
>
> Do you need theory for your brain's operation in order to
> operate it? What kind of software are you running right now,
> and where exactly is it separate from hardware? Where is
> the magical time period where state becomes embodied as
> permanent structure?

You are referring to the idea that building an AGI is about "simply"
duplicating the human brain?  And that therefore the main obstacle is
having the hardware to do that?

This is an approach that might be called "blind replication".  Copying
without understanding.

I tried to do that once, when I was a kid.  I built an electronic
circuit using a published design, but with no clue how the components
worked, or how the system functioned.

It turned out that there was one small problem, somewhere in my
implementation.  Probably just the one.  And so the circuit didn't work.
  And since I was blind to the functionality, there was absolutely
nothing I could do about it.  I had no idea where to look to fix the
problem.

To do AGI you need to understand what you are building.  The idea of
successfully replicating a system as fantastically complex as the human
brain, without first sorting out the FUNCTIONALITY -- i.e. the software
-- is a hollow dream.

(Not to mention that virtually nobody in the AGI community is actually
trying to do that right now.  WBE is done by neuroscientists who seem
not to have thought about these issues much, and they don't call what
they do "AGO")

>> The relevance of hardware advances like this is completely unknown until
>> a working design can be supplied.
>
> If you try to track what a given piece of neocortex is doing
> in current hardware you will realize that you need a lot of
> crunch.

Track what the neocortex is doing?  I am doing that.  That is my
research.... except that I am doing it at the high-level, functional
level.  What I am trying to do is understand how the neocortex works,
not how the signals are chasing each other around.  Those are two
different things, like the difference between electronic engineering and
software engineering.

And, so far, it looks as though the cortex may be playing a functional
role that can be implemented with a few orders of magnitude less
hardware than the brain uses.

>> We are a long way away from AGI, unless people start to wake up to the
>> farcical state of affairs in artificial intelligence at the moment.
>
> Finally something we can agree on.

Well, we agree on this (as you probably know) for completely different
reasons.

At least I think we do.  If you are saying this because you agree with
the critique in my complex systems paper, I will be a pleasantly
surprised person today.

Richard Loosemore