[ExI] Help with freezing phenomenon

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jan 28 16:00:48 UTC 2011

... On Behalf Of Eugen Leitl
Subject: Re: [ExI] Help with freezing phenomenon

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 06:03:33PM -0500, Mike Dougherty wrote:

>> I'm fine with the concept of frozen heads in a tank.  It was the

>The proper term is patients. Neuropatients, specifically. There are very
good reasons to avoid using other terms...Eugen

Ja.  We must keep in mind that Alcor is actually (and primarily for many
people) a mortuary.  In many if not most cases, the patient is the strong
believer in the notion of cryonics, but the family of the patient is not.
They play along to carry out the wishes of the (likely wealthy) deceased.
So we need to pay attention to the emotional and even spiritual needs of the
family, even if we would prefer to think of Alcor as a hospital for geeks,
rather than a trendy spendy mortuary.

I could follow that to its logical conclusion: Alcor might consider hiring a
minister.  Oy vey, heresy.  Actually retract that, they probably thought of
this long ago and already have one or more of these types.  Or failing that,
Alcor should have a volunteer religion hipster of some sort, to help chill
out the family while they chill the patient.

For instance, I previously commented on why it was a really bad idea for the
patients to be stacked head downward in the dewar.  Is it clear why that is?
Something the religion non-hipster would never have thought of: according to
tradition (external to the bible) when the Apostle Peter was being
crucified, he requested he be crucified upside down, for he considered
himself unworthy to be slain in the same manner as Hoerkheimer.  Being
executed head-down was considered an additional insult as well as a
punishment.

> ...mental flip-flop (pun intended) from brains to fish and back.  From
> the verbification of sushi to sushiable we're likely to get to
> sashimiable...

I also like your term sashimiable, because it could be tossed out at a
medical convention as a gag: watch all the doctors pretend they know the
definition of sashimiable.  Good chance no one would ask.  Neither are
examples of verbification, since both sushiable and sashimiable are
adjectives.  Point taken however, for your argument also applies to
adjectivization.