[ExI] Oxford scientists edge toward quantum PC with 10b qubits.

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 17:41:53 UTC 2011

2011/1/28 John Clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>:
> On Jan 28, 2011, at 11:01 AM, Richard Loosemore wrote:
> > do you have any idea how trivial this is?
>
> No.

Richard's already stated it well.  I have some expertise in
the field, and I agree with what he has said here.

That said, getting back to the original point: better quantum
computers make certain theories of how human-level AI
might work, easier to test.  If one of those theories turns out
to be The One, then yes, we could be a bit closer because
of this.  If not, we're not.  It's impossible to say for sure yet.

Even if not, a single computer with 10 billion qubits is
potentially commercially usable, for the things we know
quantum computers are useful for...if someone
commercializes this discovery.  ("Exists in lab" is one
thing, but "is available to, and practical for use by, people
who would benefit from using it" is quite another.)