[ExI] Help with freezing phenomenon

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jan 28 21:20:13 UTC 2011

... On Behalf Of Keith Henson
Subject: Re: [ExI] Help with freezing phenomenon

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 12:45 PM,   "spike" <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

snip

>> Excellent!  Thanks Amara.  I am thinking of alternatives to microwave
>> temperature control as a means of freezing a brain in a controlled
>> non-destructive manner...

>...Spike, the point of all current procedures is to vitrify without any
freezing at all, i.e., NO expansion...

There is that, but I myself have not been convinced that vitrification is
the way.  Perhaps if I studied it more, it would work for me.

>...Or are you just making a joke based on the way the brains were extracted
from Egyptian mummies?

No, I didn't know how the did the mummies.  But ja, I do cut up too much.
Then when I get an actual idea, it is hard to distinguish from the usual
riffs.

Wasn't it you who commented about creating room below the brain cavity to
allow a bit of expansion?  With respect to the vitrification notion, I now
think I was mistaken.  I might have even dreamed someone said something to
that effect, ooopsy.  {8-]

>...BTW, cracking from thermally induced stress is a known problem.  It is
believed that there is little if any information loss from the
cracking...Keith

Ja, that doesn't seem exactly right to me bud.  I know the theory is about
having nanobots read the configuration and all that, but my intuition tells
me that cracks in one's brain is a Bad Thing.

In keeping with my earlier notion of cryonics as a marketing task, it would
be a Good Thing if you could tell your clients you know how to keep them
from cracking.

Of course, if you had to tell them you need to drill out their damn nose,
that would be a Bad Thing.

>...PS Speaking of Egypt . . .

I saw that.  Crowds of guys out there, and not one of them had that whole
sideways hands and feet thing going.