[ExI] Fw: Re: atheists declare religions as scams.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Jan 30 18:32:29 UTC 2011

2011/1/29 Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com>:
> BTW, where's this chat-room Eliza that passes the Turing test?

I believe we still have a somewhat mystical concept of intelligence. A
contemporary Eliza program probably passes the Turing test over 10
exchanges 10% of  the times with 10% of the people. I am not sure that
the improvements in this area are exponential, but surely add up one
day after another, and I would not be surprised to see in a few years
something able to pass the test 25% of the times with 25% of the
people over 100 exchanges, and so forth.

A "real" AGI is no less and no more than an Eliza program the score of
which approximates enough the average human score in the test. Or
perhaps exceeds it ("sounds more human than an actual human being")...
;-)

This would be per se an interesting achievement. But of course
"intelligence", or rather computing power, can be devoted to many
other things, and probably will...

Ultimately, I believe that besides entertainment and research in the
field of psychology the major for "AGI" entities will remain the
desire not of creating emulations of a generic human being, but rather
of specific ones, to ensure the perennity of the personality of the
individual concerned (even those who are not inclined to consider that
as a form of literal "immortality" may already have painters work on
their portraits exactly for this purpose, after all...).

--
Stefano Vaj