[ExI] fischer, positive feeback loops

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jan 30 19:34:19 UTC 2011

..

On Jan 29, 2011, at 6:21 PM, Dave Sill wrote:

>>.That's a chess-specific example of learning. I'm talking about general
learning.

>.Are you certain people are all that different? Bobby Fischer was probably
the greatest human chess player who ever lived and he was a total ignoramus
and a thoroughly inferior creature in every other aspect of existence.. John
K Clark

Some non-players who met Fischer thought he was retarded.

{8^D

Of course at the chess club he was treated as a god.  Grown men would hang
on his every word when he was elementary school age.  Soon he couldn't
function in the real world, but in that artificial world of chess, he was
the undisputed king.  It is easy to see why such a person would hang out at
the club.  That is a classic positive feedback loop.

I am thinking ways of making positive feedback loops in artificial
intelligence software.

The most remarkable thing is that such a giant emerged from the US, which
has long been considered a chess backwater.

On a lighter note, this morning an American won a top level chess
championship which included the top four highest rated players in the world,
along with nine others, in a 13 round tournament:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=6983

This is the first time an American has been at the top of the chess heap
since Fischer retired 35 years ago.