[ExI] AGI (and other) IQ test

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Mon Jan 31 20:09:59 UTC 2011

Damien Broderick wrote:
> See <http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-01-universal-intelligence.html>

Allow me to paraphrase the research (based on the abstract):

"We don't know how to define 'intelligence' so we will substitute the
definition of something else - a parameter extracted from the behavior
of simple function, when that function is applied to an infinite set of
parallel universes - and then stick the label 'intelligence' on this
parameter and hope you don't notice that it has nothing to do with the
meaning of the same word, when used by ordinary people.

Next we build a test for this thing that we call 'intelligence', but
since a proper test would require access to infinite sets of parallel
universes, we will just truncate it what we think is a good enough way,
and call it done"

If you like drinking hogswash you'll enjoy this vintage.

Richard Loosemore