[ExI] AI Motivation revisited

Mike Dougherty msd001 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 03:11:57 UTC 2011

2011/7/1 john clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>
> --- On Fri, 7/1/11, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> and type it AI,AGI . You will see a graph of how often the words AI and AGI appeared in books from 1800 to 2000. And keep in mind that almost all the times AGI was used in a book it had to do with Adjusted Gross Income or Analytical Graphics Incorporated or American Gunsmithing Institute or the American Geological Institute and had nothing to do with smart computers. Think I'm exaggerating? A few months ago I did a Google search for "AGI", it was page 9 before I found anything about smart computers. Page 9 !

So what?  If google decided to make AGI the relevant keyword tomorrow
your "metric" would be inverted.

I don't use the word "normalcy" because I think it sounds stupid.
That's hardly going to stop anyone else from using it.  The louder I
complain about those who say things like "can't wait 'till things get
back to normalcy 'round here" the more I sound equally stupid to them.

You don't like the term "AGI"?  Don't use it.  If context requires a
disambiguation between narrow AI, wide AI, some other kind of
run-of-the-mill AI and the super-special kind of AI that warrants it's
own moniker, let's use AI+.  And when that loses all meaning/nuance,
the bleeding edge nerds will have to further differentiate their cool
new thing with AI++ or AI# or double-AI-plus or somesuch.

whatever; it's as good a topic to complain about as anything else.  :)