[ExI] AI Motivation revisited.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sat Jul 2 12:53:15 UTC 2011

2011/7/1 john clark <jonkc at bellsouth.net>
> Organic brains may work by neural networks but they are no better at emulating one than a non organic metallic computer, in fact they're not nearly as good; if you doubt that then look at a very very small network of only a few hundred elements and through pure visualization (or "emulation" if you prefer that word) predict how this network will behave. It's hard as hell, we're just not very good at that; electronic computers can do it much better.

There may me well tasks at which both organic brains *and* traditional
computers do not really shine. Think of quantum computing probs (btw,
this is one reason why I think that the idea that brain functioning
would be based on quantum effects appears quite dubious to me).

> As for pattern recognition we still have an edge over the machines, but I doubt our superiority will last another decade.

Yes, perhaps.

It might however take a little longer if by "superiority" one means
performance for cubic centimeter or per watt of power.

So, if portability is an issue, it might be better for a while to
bring along a few biological neurons... :-)

--
Stefano Vaj