[ExI] Inkjet printing could change the face of solar energy industry

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Mon Jul 4 07:51:51 UTC 2011

On Mon, Jul 4, 2011 at 8:00 AM, Emlyn wrote:
<snip>
> Eventually you want to see low voltage DC sockets in your house, along
> with some higher voltage AC for stuff that wants that (washing
> machine, fridge?). AC could be done with an inverter, or just come out
> of the grid as now, ignore the panels (so no inverter required). DC
> could be panels, with fallback to grid + transformer where necessary
> (night time). Obviously this is assuming a world where people begin
> making appliances that natively use, say, 12 volt DC, no power pack.
>
> No need for batteries, because there is still a grid. As far as
> storage on the grid goes, you don't really need it. When output from
> panels is high, it just means supply from power stations drops - those
> guys are all over the ability to ramp down when the grid doesn't need
> them. I think some of them can even "go in reverse", store a bit of
> power from the grid when the price is really low (demand is low),
> although I'm not sure what technology they use. That's something worth
> investing in probably, might be on the up.

I doubt if you will end up with two classes of devices (AC or DC). You
would have to design new plug standards to stop people plugging them
into the wrong sockets. Look at the horrific mess of international
plug standards at present!

More likely you will get (more expensive) devices that include a
transformer and intelligent switching that decides what the input
electricity type is and runs on whatever they are plugged into.

BillK