[ExI] Homelessness (was Re: Social right to have a living)

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 15:40:34 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jul 5, 2011 at 9:00 AM, Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27 June 2011 08:51, Damien Sullivan <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:
>> Depends on why they're homeless.  Some are perfectly well-adjusted
>> people with jobs who live out of cars because that's all they can
>> afford.
>
> The US are a pretty weird culture, where people who cannot afford what
> is required to build a hut or the ticket for a shelter may still own a
> car, that is a self-moving medium-tech product with some hundred of
> thousands of parts requiring maintenance and fuel.

It's all about building codes. You can't build a shack, but you can
live in a car. If someone complains, you buy a gallon of gas, and move
the car. It is an irrational system compared to the rest of the world
ONLY in the fact that we strongly enforce building codes here. That is
what leads to the strange outcome.

The poor can afford to build a hut. They just can't build a new one
every week when some bureaucrat comes by and smashes it down. Cars are
much better in that regard. The strangeness that you see only comes
from a particular lack of liberty. The liberty to build and live in
whatever shelter suits you and your circumstances.

I miss my liberty the most on the fourth of July.

-Kelly