[ExI] Natasha and Max - Apologies, but FB? (Kevin Haskell)

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Jul 5 19:38:15 UTC 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Giulio Prisco
Subject: Re: [ExI] Natasha and Max - Apologies, but FB? (Kevin Haskell)

>...Extropy-Chat on Facebook would be like drinking champagne in a plastic
glass.

>...Systems like Facebook (and the recent Google+, and I hope also the open
and distributed Diaspora) will probably replace mailing lists...
like plastic glasses will probably replace proper crystal champagne glasses.
But let's continue to enjoy some class until it lasts.

2011/7/5 Max More <max at maxmore.com>:
> The Extropy-Chat is NOT moving to Facebook.
>
> --Max

Ja.  The forum and the medium impact the content.  This medium is ideal for
maximizing memetic depth.  One cannot usually express profound concepts in
140 characters.  Something like twitter is great for maximizing the number
of posts and the amount of communication, but the cost is to be swamped in
How RU and such banal bullshit, one wishes for merciful death to come
quickly.  Contrast with the depth we often see right here, self-restricted
to the crowd that understands why depth is more important than width.

Max, I am honored to have made your acquaintance so many years ago.  You did
this forum exactly right.  I wouldn't change a thing.