[ExI] Inevitability of the Singularity (was Re: To Max, re Natasha and Extropy (Kevin Haskell)

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Jul 8 18:25:41 UTC 2011

On 07/08/2011 10:08 AM, Stefano Vaj wrote:
> On 7 July 2011 23:51, Kelly Anderson<kellycoinguy at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I see the market
>> demand pushing much more in the direction of the Singularity than in
>> the direction of neopaleolithic scenarios.
> Well, it depends on... the market demands. Which is not an independent
> variable. See for instance all the issue pertaining to Global Warming.
> What is the "market demand" for emission reduction? It depends.

Some day I will believe humanity has become more rational.  It will be
just after it stops talking about GW as being its main concern in the
next few decades.  Even the IPCC studies to no support the kind of alarm
bandied about on this subject.  The median temperature gain over the
century from the many studies presented is 1.5 C.  I think it is pretty
obvious that that isn't going to wipe out humanity any time soon and is
not anywhere near as pressing a threat as say economic meltdown and/or
major energy wars.    But when I say as much even extremely bright
people act as if I am promoting creationism.

- s