[ExI] the myth of the US "liberal media"

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Mon Jul 11 18:53:16 UTC 2011

On 7/11/2011 1:15 PM, Kelly Anderson wrote:
>> You think there are posts here from "near communists"? What's an example?
>
> Jeff Davis described himself the other day with these words:

> While that is not communist, it's in the the same basic neighborhood.

Jeff Davis a *communist*?! Mwahahahaha.

I'm sure Jeff will provide his own inimitable commentary, but I'd parse
that as:

"hard left" = "much tougher minded than squish soft feel-good Kumbaya
left,"

and "progressive" (in what I gather is its original sense, the sense
that Heinlein was originally one**) means "proceeding by steps, not by
an instantaneous and bloody overthrow of current oppressions." Obviously
it also has overtones of "progress is good change, stationary is dull,
reaction against change is bad," where all these value-terms are
themselves up for semantic grabs.

**see William Patterson's fascinating biography, part 1 (1907-1948), of
Heinlein.

Damien Broderick