[ExI] rugged individualists

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Jul 13 01:20:03 UTC 2011

> 53.3 percent of those who’ve received federal student loans
> 51.7 percent of those who’ve received child and dependent care tax
> credits
> 43 percent of those who’ve received unemployment insurance
> 39.8 of those who’ve received Medicare
> 28.7 of those who’ve received Social Security Disability
> 25.4 of those who’ve received food stamps

>... On Behalf Of GLivick

>Tax credits for dependents is government aide?  Insurance that the government requires us to purchase from them is aide when it pays out?
Medicare is insurance, Social Security is insurance.  FOOD STAMPS are aide!!  Couched in the words of the leftists, federal student loans, which are actually only guarantees, are bailouts, not aide.

>Good grief.

>Nevertheless, it's a good thing we have all this stuff.  Government isn't all, or even mostly, bad.

>FutureMan

Agreed, but here's another spin on it.  Regardless of our feelings about libertarianism, it is being thrust upon us.  We have spent the money to do all the stuff we have done for a long time, and it isn't clear to me it can be sustained.  Whether we like it or not, governments will be diminished in the immediately foreseeable.