[ExI] Libertarianism wins again...

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Jul 20 01:58:06 UTC 2011

On 7/19/2011 8:20 PM, spike wrote:

> The way our medical and pension system is evolving, we may find
> ourselves under governments which forbid any kind of life extension
> technology that actually works.

Hard to say. The way our medical and pension system is evolving, we may
find ourselves under governments which insist upon any kind of
healthy-life extension technology that actually works. Already,
blatantly unhealthy or dangerous foods etc are either banned or
increasingly restricted, because the costs of indulgence are so severe.

(It's not *government* per se that mandates crackpot religious
prohibitions, rails against evilution, and tries to block stem cell
research, etc. Although once the delusional crazies have established
their power over government in some particular domain, it can certainly
make a bigger mess of your day than any other force user. Well, unless
you live near a Mexican drug cartel. "And who gives them their hold over
peopel?" Yeah, I know, it's a vicious circle.)

Damien Broderick