[ExI] Moooon

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 15:44:24 UTC 2011

Regardless of when the Soviet Union's decline started -- and there's good reason to believe you're right here or even that the decline might have started much earlier still* -- the Cold War was not over back then and was still on well after the Moon Race was over, no? (I would stick fairly close to the conventinoal view of Cold War starting in the late 1940s or at least by 1950 with the Korean War and ending in the 1980s. Of course, I can see reasonable disagreements on this dating, but I would see setting the date for its beginning too much earlier as questionable.)

Regards,

Dan

* Some even argue that the N.E.P. was a tacit admission that the Soviet system couldn't work and the decades following it were just playing out of an inevitable decline ending in the final collapse. I believe Martin Malia held something like this view. See his _The Soviet Tragedy_.