[ExI] Moooon

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Fri Jul 22 22:30:20 UTC 2011

On 07/21/2011 01:26 PM, G. Livick wrote:
> Stefano,
>
> Hold on just one dern minute here!   Sending vehicles to the moon is
> fun science, even if there isn't much to be gained from it beyond the
> basic research, and the spin-off technologies.

I wouldn't say that.  It is just that some very expensive pump priming
is needed before it starts paying off and we are missing some of the
elements needed (principally in the robotics area).

> Ignoring that we may have more immediate needs for the money spent on
> these pursuits, such as finding a cure for idiocy,

So, you want to replace the human race.  :)

> and addressing the emerging epidemic of low IQ in some nations,

Huh?  Observe the bell curve.  Anything below 120 is pretty much not
enough to follow most technology beyond pushing buttons today.

> I, as a scientist and engineer engaged primarily in the field of fun
> science, would be the last to suggest we don't send ships up there.
> The objection is limited to sending humans to do a robot's job.  No
> scientist made the decision to do that.

Humans are the most flexible on the spot generally intelligence
sensing/manipulation elements we have right now.  On the moon you could
conceivably tele-operate general robots with high manipulation ability
and task-specific bots.   But you could not take this approach if you
wanted to exploited NEAs in situ (though you could send out robot
gravity tugs to drag them to a more convenient location).

> In regards to Spain, et al., sending ships out to explore the oceans,
> visit new lands, meet exciting new people and then kill them, was
> driven by motives much superior to science alone; namely spices and
> gold, and other commodities in short supply, such as Negroes.

More importantly almost all infrastructure needed to support human life
was guaranteed to exist at the the other end.

> I agree that we may be posed to follow the dinosaurs into extinction,
> although not out of a surplus of common sense.  If that gets started,
> we may need to build a few rockets and fly ourselves to the moon to live.

If we wait until then it will be far too late.

- samantha