[ExI] Why no space colonies or lunar bases? was Mooon.

spike spike66 at att.net
Sun Jul 24 16:38:05 UTC 2011

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Stefano Vaj
.

>.the Moon might be OK for space elevators...-- Stefano Vaj

The challenge with a space elevator on the moon is that Luna's synchronous
orbit is so far away because of the slow rotation rate.  Earth is in lunar
synchronous orbit.  So we have materials theoretically capable of doing
that, but we need one that is over a quarter of a million miles long.

Given the relatively modest escape velocity and very low surface atmospheric
density, an electromagnetic rail launcher is a more attractive means of
getting out of that gravity well.