[ExI] Natural law theory for the future/was Re: Libertarianism wins again...

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 14:14:58 UTC 2011

I disagree. Natural law as conceived in its neo-Aristotelean form seems able to deal with the kinds of cases you mention. Admittedly, it might give definite answers to all problems and might have some problems dealing with certain classes of problems, but this is no different than any other philosophy of law.

To take the case of non-aggression, this would depend on the nature of the beings in question, but it's hard to see why a being of one kind would have autonomy when dealing with some other autonomous beings, but would lose that autonomy simply because the other beings are somehow more advanced. That seems akin ot saying you have autonomy just so long as you share the same culture, technology, and level of education as me, but should I suddenly acquire more culture by, say, watching more foreign films and visiting more museums, a better tablet than you, and earn another degree, you suddenly lose your autonomy vis-a-vis me.

I would also suspect, too, that were you to come upon a superior being -- superior along some dimension, such as technology, intelligence, or mastery of dance steps -- you wouldn't suddenly allow that being to treat you as a floor mat.

Regards,

Dan