[ExI] The difference between Discovery and Design.

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Thu Jul 28 14:19:27 UTC 2011

David Lubkin wrote:

"Sagan was an okay scientist. He was far from top tier."

True, but one has to admit _Science as a Candle in the Dark_ is a mighty
fine title for a book.

"If you want a soaring talent who is both a top scientist and an excellent
writer, my best candidates are probably Lynn Margulis (who, btw, was Sagan's
ex) and Linus Pauling, although there are other names, like E. O. Wilson,
that lurk in my hindbrain."

Margulis yes! I adore her.  It does not matter who she is married to or was
married to. She stands on her own. I am related to Pauling, but the gene
pool did not go in my direction.  E.O. Wilson's _Consilience_ is mighty fine
as well.

But none of them compare to the insights of da Vinci (who was not a
scientist, per se) AND, this is where the issue of discovery and design
meet.

Natasha