[ExI] The difference between Discovery and Design.

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Thu Jul 28 19:07:22 UTC 2011

Natasha wrote:

>Margulis yes! I adore her.  It does not matter who she is married to or was
>married to. She stands on her own.

I brought up the fact that she had been married to Sagan as a point
in *his* favor, not hers. And as a bit of trivia.

What I adore about her, along with Pauling, Galileo, Van Gogh,
and a few others, is that they had maverick ideas, persisted in the
face of fierce opposition, were ultimately proven right, and
reshaped their fields.

One of her Lynn's sisters is Joan Glashow, wife of Nobel Laureate
Sheldon Glashow, who are both close friends of my mother. This led
to my meeting Lynn at the Glashows, having dinner with her at
AAAS, etc. She will be reviewing a children's book I'm writing on
the Gaia Hypothesis.

Lynn's other sister -- whose name escapes me -- is married to
physicist-cum-mathematician Daniel Kleitman, who was a technical
advisor on Good Will Hunting. (And Kleitman's doctoral advisors
were Nobel Laureates Schwinger and Glauber. Glauber used to
date my mother.)

Next time I see one of the sisters I really want to hear about how
they were raised.

SF writer Nick Sagan is from Carl's second marriage -- after Lynn,
before Ann Druyan. Since my mother briefly dated Carl, I quipped
when I met Nick that had history gone a little differently, we could
have been stepbrothers.

Science is a very small community, especially if you were Jewish
in the Fifties.

-- David.