[ExI] How can you simulate trillions of worlds in the mass/energy of a small moon?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Jul 31 22:02:10 UTC 2011

I know I have seen the general argument for this ability somewhere long ago on this list.  But I am having difficulty finding the details or recreating them myself.  If someone here has a handle on that information or can recreate it in decent detail and will pass it along I would be very grateful.    What level would you need to simulate down to?  It seems wasteful in real sims to simulate anything that can't be observed or have any appreciable effect on what is observed.  But if that is the practice in general then  some things that work in the base universe (depend on deep quantum effects such as some computational circuits) might not work so well in a sim.  So what is the full argument that gets around such seeming conundrums?

thanks.  (I fully expect to smack myself in the head for forgetting the key points and drawing a blank later)

- samantha