[ExI] Brain emulation, regions and AGI [WAS Re: Kelly's future]

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Fri Jun 3 14:20:36 UTC 2011

Kelly Anderson wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 1, 2011 at 6:53 PM, Richard Loosemore <rpwl at lightlink.com> wrote:
>> Kelly Anderson wrote:
>>
>> They are.  But when it comes to building an AGI, I think I might ... ahem
>> ... go a little careful on the l-DLPFC equivalent.  I don't think we need to
>> make them so much like us that they experience full blown romantic love and
>> go completely cuckoo.
>>

> This seems dangerous to me Richard. If we create Vulcans they won't be
> able to fully understand us, and that seems like an existential
> threat.
>
> I believe that we want AGIs to self-identify as human beings so that
> they see themselves in brotherhood, rather than in competition, with
> us.
>
> The kinds of insanity that are dangerous are different than romantic
> love. Which great emperor has destroyed his people over romantic love,
> compared to say personality disorders or hatred of a rival, or
> religion?

I'm in complete agreement about the need for empathy with human beings.

I was really only saying that, within the normal human range (which is
pretty huge, as far as I can tell), the AGI should be designed so that
it does not have an extremely powerful form of the romantic love module.

Some of the other modules we would leave out entirely (the violent
ones).  But toning down the romantic love system would not leave the AGI
behaving like a Vulcan, by any means.

Richard Loosemore