[ExI] Brain emulation, regions and AGI [WAS Re: Kelly's future]

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 16:45:04 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 10:31 AM, Richard Loosemore <rpwl at lightlink.com> wrote:
> So, consider a person who has never in their life experienced feelings of
> rage or anger (trying to approximate, here, an AGI with no aggression
> module).  Now, in a situation in which interstellar invaders turn up and
> make it clear they want to set up an Intergalactic Walmart on Earth, and
> they will need to erase all native life first, that non-aggressive person
> might still decide that it will be necessary to nuke the invasion force on
> the way in.
>
> That would not be an aggression-driven action.  No need for the agg. module.
>  And there is no reason to believe that a person who felt overwhelming
> aggression toward the invaders would be better at building the defence force
> (quite the opposite, perhaps).
>
> I cannot think of any circumstances where violent (or potentially dangerous)
> motivation modules would be *required* for the AGI to function properly.
>  People often quote the invading space aliens scenario I just described, but
> other than that I know of none.

What if the AGI decided that the invading alien force was more
intelligent, and thus a more effective use of our solar system's
resources. Would in not be logical to just let the invading force win
without violence at all then? You might need human thought processes
and perhaps emotions to come down on the "us" side.

-Kelly