[ExI] Unsustainable was Re: Solar power makes UK people poorer

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Sat Jun 11 15:06:15 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 11, 2011 at 11:29:59AM +0200, Eugen Leitl wrote:

> > we could run out of it? Nuclear power is bad because in 50,000 years
> > we could run out of fissile elements?
>
> It's bad because http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-05-nuclear-power-world-energy.html

That seems flawed.  It goes from 15,000 nuclear reactors to needing
15,000 exclusion zone sites, but don't multiple reactors share a site?
The uranium abundance seems flawed too: isn't it true that there's a lot
more uranium known to be available at slightly higher prices, and that
exploration for U hasn't been a big priority due to its historical
cheapness?  And we're told the guy argues breeder reactors are
"uncompetitive", which is obviously crucial.

-xx- Damien X-)