[ExI] Why Cities Keep Growing, Corporations and People Always Die, and Life Gets Faster

Henry Rivera hrivera at alumni.virginia.edu
Tue Jun 14 01:47:51 UTC 2011

My experience is that healthcare provided by the Department of Veterans
Affairs, while variable site to site, generally is of equal or higher
quality than community care. My patients at VA get more services and thus
better treatment than my comparable patients in the community due to lack of
insurance company restrictions on length of treatment for my VA patients.
I'm in the mental health department. Of course there is room for improvement
and increased funding from Congress.

Also, there is a book making a similar case that VA care is superior:
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Care-Anywhere-Health-Better/dp/0977825302&ved=0CBoQFjAB&usg=AFQjCNF2wjSFyepItgZcuPDNKhgvBAnkWg

-Henry

*
*
Rafal said:

*Today I saw an 80 year old man. He was mute, very severely rigid, so
rigid I couldn't straighten his legs even though he didn't yet have
contractures. He was blinking very slowly, had some intermittent
tremor. This is very advanced Parkinson's disease - and he showed up
untreated, after a perfunctory trial of levodopa was abandoned. Where
in hell did this guy come up from, I wondered? His nursing home
attendant told me he was just transferred from the VA (Veteran's
Administration) facility in Bath. VA, huh? Now all is clear - the
guy's mistake was to let himself get drafted into the war in Korea,
and then assume the VA would take care of him in his old age.

Sucker.
*