[ExI] Burzynski vs the FDA

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 15 05:20:19 UTC 2011

----- Original Message ----

Granted the Mayo Clinic Study was bungled and seems likely to me to have been
set up for failure at the outset. Perhaps due partly to overconfidence on the
part of Burzynski in writing the protocol for such hopeless cancer cases
to begin with and partly due to the prejudice of the researchers in abandoning
the protocol at the earliest possible opportunity. But really there are
two separate issues at stake here, Damien. One is the scientific question of
whether there is any validity to using antineoplaston therapy for cancer. The
other is political as to whether the FDA and pharmaceutical companies are trying
to marginalize Burzynski and his research.

In my previous email, I addressed the first question as objectively as
possible.I focused on the Japanese studies because they seemed to be the least
biased in either direction. Based on the Japanese studies, I concluded that
there *was* therapeutic value to antineoplasmon treatment but I wasn't convinced
that it was as large as Burzynski himself or the makers of the movie would lead
you to believe. They make it sound like a magic bullet and it isn't. But that
isn't important. What is important is whether it is better than chemotherapy and
it sure seems to be but that isn't hard because chemotherapy is largely crap.
Here is a free copy of a study reported by Aussies in "Clinical Oncology"
that demonstrates that except in testicular cancer and hematopoietic cancers
like leukemia, lymphoma, and multiple myeloma chemo is crap:

http://www.burtongoldberg.com/home/burtongoldberg/contribution-of-chemotherapy-to-five-year-survival-rate-morgan.pdf

To truly evaluate the effectiveness of antiplasmon treatment you would need a
randomized and controlled clinical trial of sufficient size to be statistically
meaningful where some patients recieved antineoplasmon and some patients
recieved the best available chemotherapy, and the doctors who evaluated
the outcomes were not the same doctors who administered the treatments. I
heartily endorse that such a study be conducted but who is going to pay for it?

That brings me to the second issue which is regulatory capture of the FDA by the
pharmaceutical companies. Yes it is a huge problem. Yes, the movie does do a
good job of exposing it when it isn't trying to be an infomercial for
Burzynski's Clinic. But regulatory capture is certainly not unique to the FDA
and most major industries engage in it to greater or lesser extent. The Pentagon
is in bed with the defense industry, the SEC is in bed with Wall Street, the Fed
is in bed with the banking industry, and the MMS is in bed with the oil
industry. When the watchdogs consort with the wolves, the sheep are largely
fucked. It almost makes one want to buy some machine guns and move to Somalia.

Stuart Laforge

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things bought
and sold are legislators." - P. J. O'Rourke