[ExI] The Argumentative Theory of Reasoning

Gordon gts_2000 at yahoo.com
Thu Jun 16 07:58:30 UTC 2011

--- On Thu, 6/16/11, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:

> I think humans are more complicated than that.
>
> Sometimes I get involved in discussions that I know I have
> no chance of 'winning'. I look on it as a learning experience.
> I put forward opinions (hopefully with some evidence attached)
> then see what contrary arguments are put forward. Even when
> people totally disagree, the mix of ideas might lay seeds for future
> changes.

I think the proponents of this theory would cite your comment above as evidence in favor of their view. They argue that people should argue with those with whom they disagree and avoid preaching to the choir. This they say serves the evolutionary purpose of reason.

Reason, according to them, is not a solitary mental affair. It is rather a social affair related to the adaptive trait of argumentativeness. It is good and adaptive to argue for whatever our purposes, and reason serves to help us argue for our purposes.

Shades of Nietzsche.

-gts