[ExI] North Korea's super EMP Bomb

Amara D. Angelica amara at kurzweilai.net
Fri Jun 17 11:42:19 UTC 2011

EMP from a nuclear weapon in the first E1 stage is generated by the Compton
effect (gamma rays collide with atoms in the mid-stratosphere, the gamma
rays knock out electrons from air atoms, and the electrons produce a huge
current that reaches the Earth. Gamma rays also generate the lightning-like
EMP in the E2 stage.

I'm unaware of any role of x-rays in generating EMP effects, since they
don't generate currents, and since standard hardening (using metallic
shielding) is designed to counter EMP (but is largely ineffective in
blocking x-rays), I would tend to doubt x-rays are significant threats
(except possibly to chips, I haven't looked into x-ray effects on chips.
Maybe someone else can comment on that.
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse#Characteristics_of_nucle
ar_EMP>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse#Characteristics_of_nuclea
r_EMP has a good explanation, which also mentions that "there are reports of
"super-EMP" nuclear weapons that are able to overcome the 50,000 volt per
metre limit by the very nearly instantaneous release of a burst of gamma
radiation of much higher energy levels than are known to be produced by
second generation nuclear weapons." That may be related to Timmerman's
statements.

I haven't noticed any technical errors with Timmerman's writing to date
(although I haven't looked for them either). He seems to do excellent
factual research. I not qualified to judge his political statements. I have
a background in electronic warfare systems engineering, but I haven't worked
with EMP systems, so I may be missing some key errors in the above
statements.