[ExI] scale of the universe

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 21:50:15 UTC 2011

Now, what would be interesting would be to put dollars and cents in
this picture... :-)

$1 = 1 meter...

The cost of a single byte of hard drive storage ($80 for a 2TB Drive)
is close to the size of a Helium atom.
A penny would be $0.01 dollars, where the grain of rice is...
A dollar would be where the meter is...
Half Dome would be around a week's salary... $420
A marathon would be a year's salary for a typical day laborer, $26,000
The diameter of the moon would represent $3,500,000, about what the
government spends in an hour and a half.
The largest lottery jackpot of all time $390,000,000 is about twice
the size of Jupiter.
The cost of the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq together are nearly the
size of the sun.  $1,200,000,000,000
The 2012 budget of $3,700,000,000,000 is larger than the largest known
star, but smaller than the orbit of Pluto.
The Kuiper Belt is the current national debt... $15,000,000,000,000
The current gross world product is $30 trillion per year, is just a
third larger than the Homonculous Nebula.
The total unfunded liability of the US Government of
$144,000,000,000,000 is half the size of the Sting Ray Nebula!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Value_of_Earth
According to Wikipedia, the replacement value of the entire earth is
the size of the Great Orion Nebula. $195,000,000,000,000,000
And here is a number to blow your mind... If you value electricity at
10 cents per Kilowatt hour, the energy output of our sun in one second
is worth
$38,000,000,000,000,000,000,000
Which on the scale is the size of our Local Galactic Group.
The value of all the power of the sun for an entire year would be
approximately the Estimated Size of the Universe...
$3,283,200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000

If nothing else, that gives you quite a bit of respect for the power
of the sun! Hopefully, I haven't messed up the math too badly; it's
hard to get these big numbers exactly right. YMMV on some of the
numbers, but the order of magnitude is right... :-)

-Kelly